Thursday, October 30, 2008

Caney Mountain Hunt

October 18-20, 2008 were the dates for the 2008 muzzleloader hunt at the Caney Mountain Conservation Area in Ozark County, Missouri. Every year, about 250 hunters are selected to hunt this 8,000 acre wilderness. The success rate is pretty low with about a 1 in 10 chance of taking a deer. Not there's a low deer count, but this a very rugged country to hunt with LOTS of deer.

Our hunting party this year were consisted of Josh Thomas, Seymour, Missouri; Gary Basnett, Willard, Missouri; myself and my father, Cletis McConnell, Greenfield, Missouri. We arrived a day early to set up camp and some pre-scouting.

We found some promising signs and had a good feeling that someone would bag a big'un. The first morning I discovered very quickly that I was in no way prepared for the big chill. The weather had been very nice but the cool front moved in and I froze out in less than two hours. I don't know how they did it but Gary and Josh stayed on stand the entire day. They didn't do any good and were a little disappointed.

Upon returning to camp, we decided to drive into Gainesville to a buffet restaurant and live bluegrass music. It was a good way to end a hard days hunt.

Next morning was rather chilly as well. You can bet I was better prepared. The neck gator and gloves did the trick. I had an opportunity to take a small doe but chose to let her walk. I still had my hope for a nice buck. I've seen them before and I know they're still there. You just have to be patient.

No real deer stories to tell on this hunt. However, I saw 6 deer and some of the prettiest ozarks hills you will ever see. We had a really great time and looking forward to a return trip.



















1 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Great story and super photos. Jack you are good at story telling just like my dad was. Thanks for sharing with us. Gary is looking forward to going again. Maybe next time you will both have a BUCK STORY to share. Janet

Friday, October 31, 2008 10:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home